Monday, April 2, 2012

Attack of the Orange Spit? DVDs fight back.

Orange spit. Yuck.

That's what my 3 year old called it when my 2 year old daughter began throwing up her snack of Cheez-It's all over my (of course- white) rug.

Twelve hours and a fever of 103 later, I made the decision to bring her to the ER. She couldn't keep down any fluids, and she was going downhill fast. From the symptoms, I knew it was likely something gastrointestinal, such as the flu, and she was so little and pitiful.

I hate to say it, but I'm sort of an expert on last minute runs to the ER. My son has a short trachea, and any time he gets a cold it turns quickly into croup. When he was one he had a bout so severe that he was transferred to Children's Hospital for a week long stay. Now, I take no chances with him, and I have a stocked 'ER' bag ready to grab and go.

So, while sitting in the ER waiting room with a vomiting toddler, I quickly became the center of attention to other impatient moms when I opened my ER bag, pulled out the portable DVD player, and was able to get my miserable daughter engrossed in an episode of Sesame Street. I had plastic grocery bags in there as well, ready for the next upchuck. (Although, the hospital will provide something similar if you want it.)

A number of other moms brought their little ones over, only to groan when my daughter and I were called into the back, the DVD player with us.

The nurse was impressed too. "I bet they all wished they had thought of that."

I'm not tooting a horn. Trust me, I wish I had NOT learned from experience. But maybe mine will help you. Here are the contents of my ER bag.

-Portable DVD Player + DVDs in a carry case
-Plastic Bags
-Wipes/Diapers
-Copy of Insurance Card
-Kids change of clothing, Change of PJ's
-Contact Solution and Case (For Mom)
-Sippy Cup- (Hospitals never have these)
-Fluffly Blanky
-Pillow Pal (Hospitals never have enough pillows)
-Deodorant and Toothbrush
-2 Bottles of Water and Peanut Butter crackers (for mom)
-A $20 Bill- If you have to stay for a night or two, it may be some time before you can get
 to an ATM
-List of important phone numbers- in case you manage to forget your cell in the rush out of the house
-And for those single moms- always keep a copy of your custody papers in the bag, in case the ex shows up and wants to challenge your decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny that parents-to-be are told to pack that hospital bag for the delivery, but then again we don't see much advice for the emergency ER visit?

    This post is indispensable. It sounds a lot like what a parent should bring on a plane! I am printing this out and putting a pack together for my daughter. Thanks for the excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete