Monday, March 26, 2012

To Prep or Not To Prep?

That is the question!

Okay, so I have to admit that I'm equally enthralled and disgusted by the new show Doomsday Preppers. If you haven't seen it, it's basically a documentary done about people who are preparing (prepping) for disasters. All of the individuals in the show have different opinions of how it will happen, but they all seem to believe that some major catastrophe will occur in their lifetime. To be ready for it, they are preparing everything from huge food stores to underground bunkers equipped with all the major moder amenities.

While my first instinct was to roll my eyes, a second thought occurred to me: I am a mom, and isn't it my job to be prepared for anything on behalf of my children? And since it's just me, as a single mom, shouldn't I be more prepared then most?

First, I promised I wouldn't let this whole 2012 doomsday prediction thing get to me. I did a lot of research, and was able to pretty much rule it out.  If you still have doubts or concerns, check out these videos.


I was talking with my father about all of this, and he mentioned something else that's not part of the video. They Mayan calender does not include leap years. So, if you add up all the leap days that have passed since then, we're actually already beyond the date the Mayans predicted as the end of the world.

Okay, now here is where I get a little grim. Although I don't believe in the 2012 theory, or much of what is shown on Doomsday Preppers, watching the show and doing research has made me realize that I am woefully unprepared for an emergency. And, truthfully, one can happen any time. It might not be the end of the world, but the kids and I could get snowed in for a week, a hurricane could knock out the East Coast commerce system, etc.

So what is the answer? I'm currently working on building a food and water storage supply, enough for 3 months, for five people. (Kids, myself, and my parents.) I've purchased an emergency hand crank radio, and for my birthday I asked for useful items like a first aid kit and a Swiss army knife.

I may never need them, but at least I can go to sleep at night knowing that I am much better prepared for an emergency now, and pat myself on the shoulder for taking one more step in the direction of Super Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I like how layered this text is. You have text, video links, discussions that go in a variety of directions, but it doesn't feel like you go off topic or on a tangent.

    I think about the doomsday stuff all the time. Part of it is from watching "The Walking Dead," part is from living in Utah and hearing about the Mormon moms who are trained to stockpile for 2 years (2 years!), and the ideas of not so much Mayan 2012 but issues of biohazards or pandemics. I always wonder what I would do, and you're right: now that I'm a mother, I guess I should think somewhat seriously about being prepared.

    ReplyDelete