Sunday, January 29, 2012

Good Morning, Doorframe.

It was my seventh time getting up to the sound of my daughter crying due to her stuffy nose. Despite the fact that this time it was morning and there was light coming through the windows, I still managed to somehow, in my groggy daze, walk face first into my bedroom door frame. Clutching my bloody nose, I went to get my daughter out of bed. Of course, her crying woke my son, who in his current 'I'm a dog not a boy' phase, began to bark to let me know he wanted up as well.

After two dirty diapers and numerous bloody tissues I finally got the kids to focus on a riveting episode of Yo Gaba Gaba and snuck into the bathroom. The sight of myself in the mirror (bedhead, still in my PJ's, covered in dried blood) made me groan. I felt like my morning had exploded. And on top of this, I was somehow supposed to get everyone dressed, fed a good breakfast, and out the door for our busy day? Something had to give.

Shamefully, I reached for the box of pop tarts, figuring I could save a good twenty minutes. Then good sense took over, and I came up with a healthier idea. I took two plastic cups, filled them with a mixture of healthy cereals, blueberries, grapes, and yogurt melts. My kids happily munched on their 'morning trail mix' as I finished preparing for the day.

Sometimes we have to realize that our typical pancakes and eggs breakfast is not realistic, so often we moms (and our kids) skip out on breakfast or reach for the sugary alternatives. Research shows that children who eat a healthy breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy body weight, do better in school, and participate in sports. (Rodriguez)

When your morning blows up, here are some other super fast options to consider that the little ones will love:
  • Yogurt and banana smoothie
  • Poached Egg on English Muffin
  • Granola, Yogurt, and Fresh Fruit in a cup
  • Banana, Peanut Butter, and Jelly in a wheat Hot Dog Bun
  • Bagel and Cream Cheese with Apple Slices and Cinnamon
  • Cottage Cheese and Apple Butter
I always try to keep an arsenal of ideas to turn those OMG moments into 'supermom' moments, and I always try to remind myself that if I'm a little late, the world won't stop turning.


  Rodriguez, D.(Feb. 4, 2009). Breakfast for Kids can be Healthy and Fast. Everyday Health, Retrieved on Jan. 29, 2012 from http://www.everydayhealth.com/kids-health/healthy-breakfast-for-kids.aspx

2 comments:

  1. This would have been a perfect post if you had only written, "when your morning cracks its nose into a door frame..." Just last night I learned how to undress my daughter in 5 seconds or less when she found her father's coffee mug (I didn't even know it was on the coffee table!) and proceeded to dump it all over her--head, face, chest. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. But luckily it wasn't too hot (not scalding, but pretty warm). Maybe this will turn her off coffee?

    I am getting a kick out of this blog because you're making it look so easy, even in the rough spots. I think moms like you and my mom, do this because they have to. There is no other way to go at it, is there?

    Do your kids have any interaction with their father? If so, do you get any time off to wind down?

    Nice use of citations-references. My only note: you don't have to number the reference (if you have more than one, just alphabetize).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that is scary. I'm paranoid about the coffee pot. I'm glad that she was okay, and hopefully she learned a lesson about curiosity. And mommmy and daddy did too- just don't beat yourself up over it! Every parent has a 'too close' story to tell.

    ReplyDelete