Monday, January 23, 2012

Where to start?

Before we jump on the horse and start off at a gallop, I guess the first thing we should do is get to know one another. Yes, I am a single mother. I've been separated for almost two years and I have a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. Like many other single parent's I have other struggles- I'm a full-time student pursuing two majors, I own a small business, and I'm still struggling through the dirty D; otherwise called divorce.  I do not at all claim to be an expert; just a participant who sometimes feels like she was tossed into the ring of a championship boxing match mid-fight, and is desperately trying to learn as she goes.

And I'm not alone. According too Data Across the States 32% of children in Virginia are raised in single parent households. Even more astounding is that the same 2010 report states that the number of children in the District who have single parents is 60%.

Shortly I'll discuss all those scary statistics that people hear about children raised in a SPH. However, I want to start off on a lighter note; lets consider all the GOOD things about being a single parent first.

I found a recent article on Parents.com by Mary Mohler called Benefits To Being a Single Parent. Many of you may find her points insightful, and somewhat amusing. Here is a quick list of her 7 points:

  • No more fighting about who does what
  • There's no one to undermine my authority
  • The closet is all mine
  • I get every other weekend to myself
  • The kids are (doing) just fine
  • I can break the rules
  • I like their father again (post-divorce)

2 comments:

  1. Well done! You're warming your readers up to the topic, and it won't always be easy, since this topic has an edge: single parenthood, which is couched in oppositions, like loving one's children but dealing with stress revolving around co- (or, sometimes, noparenting from the other parent).

    I am very interested in this blog because I am the child of a single parent who had absolutely no help, and my mom kicked butt. But her wonderful work in raising my sister and I took its toll on her, too. I'm sure we'll discuss more as the spring progresses. Reading your blog reminds me of the strong mothers out there, and I tip my hat to you!

    Nice links, too. Great research right off the bat. Here's a link I think you should check out: famous mom-blogger Heather Armstrong, who just recently announced her separation from her husband. This will make her blog go in an all-new direction: http://www.dooce.com/

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly do not know how you manage to do all of it. Going to school and working is sometimes a lot for me. Thankfully I can study when the salon is slow and no one needs their hair washed. You go to school for a double major, work, and have two younger kids. I believe that you definitely get the title super mom. I like how even though you’re a single mom you look at the bright side of it all. My parents are divorced they were both single parents for quite a while. My mom did great, but my dad had no idea what he was doing. My grandma had to come over a lot to help him. Thankfully my step-mom came along!

    ReplyDelete