Monday, February 20, 2012

A trip any Mommy would love...

Next time Christmas or birthday's come around for your kids I have a great suggestion; ask your friends and family to give the kids things to DO instead of toys. That way when winter comes and you are couped up you have an instant solution.

This is the challenge I gave my parents last Christmas. I left it opened ended, and they surprised me by giving me and the kids a year-long membership to the National Aquarium! Normally a trip for a family of four (and I say four because it's almost impossible to walk the little ones through this on your own) is about $150. Thus, a year long family membership for under 200 is a real bargain. If you are a single mom you can add a non-related adult as your fourth.

Here are some things you need to know:

-There are two locations; one in D.C. and one in Baltimore. If you're willing to go the extra distance to Baltimore it will pay off, as that location has the dolphin shows and a 4-D immersion theater that D.C. does not.

-Having said the above, make sure you have your portable DVD player (another mom essential) charged up and ready to go for the car trip.

-Even if you have a membership, you are going to have some costs. Parking is a little over $20 and if you plan on seeing a 4-D show (which is totally worth it) expect another $5/per person. Expect to park a block or two away.

-If you plan to spend most of the day there you can purchase a locker for $2 where you can put diaper bags, coats, etc. I really recommend this.

-You cannot bring strollers. You can get a carry-pack that will work if your child is an infant, but it's too small for larger toddlers. Plan on your little one walking and incorporate enough time into your schedule to accommodate for a couple little breaks.

-There is an amazing gift shop with lots of 'shineys' that will draw your kid in. Plan this into your budget as well, or get the floor plan as you enter so that you can avoid this in advance. There is also a cafe, but it would be more economical to bring your own meal.

-The rest of the details, including current exhibits, hours and directions, can be found on the website: http://www.aqua.org/

For us, the trip was magical. We started out by watching a 4-D showing of Dora and Diego, which my son STILL talks about a month later. You get 3-D glasses and sit in a theater where wind blows, snow falls, and you even get splashed as you explore the earth.

After that, we made our way to the dolphin show where we wisely decided to sit outside of the splash zone. (The people who sat in it got SOAKED- so if you want to let your kids experience this bring an extra change of clothes.) Even through my kids are little they got a huge kick out of all the dolphin squeals and tricks.

We then spent almost four hours meandering through multiple levels of amazing, colorful exhibits. My kids liked the 'Jellyfish Invasion!' exhibit the best- they were fascinated by the undulating movements and various sizes and colors of the jellies. (Who knew they came in different colors?) Mommy's favorite part was the amazon level, which was quite warm and steamy, covered in foliage, and had tanks full of exotic reptiles, amphibians, and fish. There were even colorful birds flying overhead.

The kids were exhausted by the time we were done, so we had a small dinner at a little sandwich place across from the aquarium and then headed home (with a new stuffed Nemo in tow). Just one last warning- if you plan from going from Baltimore to the NOVA area on a weekday prepare for quite a bit of traffic, and don't forget to take the HOV.

6 comments:

  1. I love it, I am a father of three young children, and I am always looking for new adventures for my kids and I to enjoy. This sounds like just one of those wonderful adventures I will have to plan and start preparing for. I have done the zoo a couple of times, and I have also done the children's museum both in D.C.,and in Richmond. The National Aquarium sounds like much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have kids but my cousin and I have really wanted to go to the one in Baltimore for a while now because it just sounded so neat! My cousin does have a one-year old though so we might have to wait a little longer before she can take her little one and have her enjoy it also. But this post makes me want to go even more because it sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a kid and I had a ton of fun! I really like the amazon area. If I haden't been propelled onward by the kids I could have spent a whole afternoon 'in the rainforest'.

      Delete
  3. I do have a 16-month-old, and I've been dying to go to the Baltimore Aquarium. A friend of mine described the DC location as "sad, basement-y." But that is so much money to spend! I think it was an excellent idea to be "gifted" something so special that you can use for the entire year. Now I have a question for you: at what age do you think little children can get the full effect of the aquarium? I don't know if my little one's attention span is dynamic enough. How did your youngest one do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabelle had just turned 2 when we went. She LOVED it. Your little one could handle it, for sure. We went all the way till closing time and she didn't once seem bored. The colors and movement seem to be a natural attractant for the little ones. Just, like I mentioned in the post, plan around her nap time or plan a break into the trip, since she wont have a stroller to sleep in.

      Delete
  4. Even though I do not have kids yet, I do have 5 younger brothers and sisters under the age of 10. I never realized how many activities there are at the aquariums in both DC and Baltimore.

    It looks like the kids really do love going to the shows and you should let them go in the splash zone sometime when the weather is warm. When I was younger, At Sea World, I sat in that zone and it probably in one of the best memories from my childhood.

    It sounds like this can be the perfect day trip for families in the Northern Virginia area!

    ReplyDelete